With winter just around the corner, now is the time to give your home a “check-up”.
- Seasonally inspecting, sealing and insulating pipes can do wonders in minimizing frozen pipes.
- Don’t forget about outside water sources, drain sprinklers and disconnect garden hoses.
- Trim trees and remove branches that are precariously perched or dead.
- Prior to the snow season roof leaks should be repaired. Additionally, gutters should be cleaned of all debris.
- Ensure that fireplaces are cleaned and fully functioning to prevent problems down the line.
- Have your duct system tested for air leaks.
- Close any crawlspace vents.
- Replace your furnace or heat pump air filter.
- Have your heating system cleaned and tuned by a qualified contractor.
- Have your system checked for carbon monoxide and install a CO alarm.
- Adjust your thermostat to a cooler temperature when away or when sleeping.
- Reverse Your Ceiling Fans – Change the rotation direction of your ceiling fan to clockwise! Doing so pushes heat downwards from the ceiling.
- Mow Your Leaves, Don’t Rake Them – Mowing your leaves (rather than raking them) will provide nourishment for your lawn over the winter months.
- Sump Pump Test – Pour several gallons of water into the sump pit to determine whether the pump turns on to drain it.
A little attention now can stem off big problems this winter